Are you new to the world of RoomMates? Have you never applied one of our removable, repositionable, easy-to-use wall decals? No worries! We’ve written this simple guide to help walk you through the application process. As our customers can tell you, after you’ve done it once, you will probably never need a guide again!
For help with wallpaper or one of our XL wall murals, check out our wallpaper application guide, or our helpful XL mural how-to video for helpful tips. We’ve also written a special guide for applying our Star Wars panels and other large wall decals, which you can find here.
Here’s how to apply your RoomMates:
- Your RoomMates wall decals will arrive printed on one or more sheets and packaged in a protective plastic shell. Open the packaging and remove the sheets.
- Unfold the sheets and spread them out on a flat surface near the desired location of application. If you are applying a giant wall decal, or a design that includes many small pieces, you may also want to remove the paper insert from the packaging and place it beside the sheets for reference.
- Prior to application, make sure your wall (or other surface) is clean and dry. Wipe the surface with a dry cloth or slightly damp sponge to ensure that it is free of dust or dirt. If your wall has been recently painted, do NOT apply your wall decal! Wait at least two weeks after painting to apply wall decals. Find out why here.
- Peel the first decal from the sheet. It should remove easily from the liner. If handling a large design, consider recruiting a second person to hold the opposite end of your decal so that the two sides do not stick together.
- Bring the decal to the wall. Slowly smooth the design from top to bottom, pressing down firmly. Ensure that the entire decal makes contact with the wall or surface, and that no air bubbles are trapped beneath the sticker.
- Examine the placement of your wall decal. If the applied element needs to be moved, simply peel it away from the wall and re-apply. The decal will remove and re-apply easily regardless of how many times this process is repeated.
- Repeat steps 4-6 until you have applied all included wall decals, or (if you are assembling a large design from multiple pieces) completed the application of your giant wall decal.
- Slide the liner sheets and paper insert back into the packaging and store it somewhere safe. This will allow you to easily move your RoomMates, or store them away for use at a later date. This is especially helpful for seasonal or holiday designs! Read more about easily moving your wall decals in this post on our blog.
Easy, right? If you get stuck, don’t fret: we’re always here to help. Contact us and we’ll get you back on track as quickly as possible.